Winter is synonymous with staying indoors under blankets with hot chocolate in front of the television. But what does this mean for you as a motorist? It’s time to winterise your vehicle.
We’ve jotted down a few steps which you can take to ensure you get the most out of your vehicle’s performance this winter (source www.carcare.org).
- Have the battery & charging system checked for optimum performance.
- Clean, flush & put new antifreeze in the cooling system.
- Make sure heaters, defrosters & wipers work properly.
- Check the tyre tread depth & tyre pressure.
- Be diligent about changing the oil & filter at recommended intervals. Dirty oil can spell trouble in winter.
- Have the brakes checked. The braking system is your vehicle’s most important safety item.
- Have the exhaust system checked for carbon monoxide leaks, which can be especially dangerous during cold weather driving when windows are closed.
- Check to see that exterior & interior lights work & headlights are properly aimed.